EVSC Physical Education Waiver Policy:
The State of Indiana requires students receive two Physical Education credits in order to graduate from Indiana high schools. However, to graduate from the Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation, an additional physical education credit must be earned.
Now, students have the option of waving the third credit by one of three ways:
• Being enrolled in an EVSC Innovative School Model (see list
• Participating in an EVSC sponsored extracurricular activity
• Participating in an Indiana High School Athletic Association
(IHSAA) sanctioned sport
Students planning to pursue a waiver credit need to fill out the waiver form found on the reverse side. Waiver forms also are available in the school counselor’s office. Waiver forms must be submitted by the end of the student’s sophomore year, unless otherwise approved by the principal or student’s guidance counselor. Only one credit total may be waived and will be issued at the end of the first year of one of the following opportunities:
EVSC Innovative School Model Program:
Students may waive the third EVSC required physical education credit by being enrolled in and obtaining a “C” or better for two semesters in one of the following EVSC Innovative School Model programs:
EVSC Virtual Academy, Early College High School, International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, Reitz Biomedical, JROTC, Medical Professions Academy, New Tech Institute, Randall T. Shepard Academy for Law and Social Justice, and all programs at the Southern Indiana Career and Technical Center.
EVSC Sponsored Extracurricular Activity or IHSAA Sanctioned Sport:
Students may waive the third EVSC required physical education credit by participating in one of the following qualifying extracurricular activities or sport:
Baseball, Basketball, Cheerleading, Cross Country, Dance, Football, Golf, Marching Band, Guard/Auxiliary, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Volleyball, and Wrestling.
1. A waiver WILL NOT count towards athletic eligibility.
2. Participants in cheer and dance will need to complete a minimum of two sports consecutively.
3. Athletic managers are eligible if the time is equal to or above that of an athlete for the sport per the approval of the Principal or designated Athletic Director.
4. Students injured during the sport season will be determined on a case by case basis in terms of their eligibility for the waiver. Principal will consult with the Chief Academic Officer as needed.
Please click here to download a Physical Education Waiver Form.